Log in

Charles L. Sommers Alumni Association, Inc.

Log in
  • Home
  • Alumni Volunteer Work Week

Alumni Volunteer Work Week

  • May 01, 2024
  • 3:00 PM
  • May 31, 2024
  • 9:00 AM
  • Northern Tier, 14790 Moose Lake Rd, Ely, MN 55731


  • When registering, use the email associated with your membership or log in.
The upcoming Red Renner Memorial Work Week will be in May 2024.

Dates are still to be determined. 

You can stay for the whole time, weekend, or just a day. We will be providing cabin lodging and meals at no cost. 

It is your chance to support the Northern Tier program. Enjoy camaraderie with your fellow alumni while giving back. Bring your skills and enthusiasm; we will provide on-the-job training and tools. 

Volunteer Requirements

  • Be a member in good standing of the Charles L. Sommers Alumni Association, Inc. Become a member online
  • Complete “Youth Protection Training” before arriving (valid for two years). This course is free, and you do not need to be a member of the BSA. See this post for details.
  • You must also bring a “BSA Annual Health and Medical Record” form. If only volunteering for a weekend (less than 72 hours), you do not need a medical exam. See this post for details.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I come for just part of the work week? Yes. You can come for a few days or the entire week. We ask that you come for one of the weekends as this is when most work will be occurring. You can then extend your stay into the week in-between.

Will there be social opportunities? There will be plenty of camaraderies as we work to get Northern Tier ready for the season! The primary focus and expectation are that we’ll be collaborating on work projects. If you are more interested in social activities, we recommend signing up for our future regional and national reunions!

Can I stop by to visit? Alumni may only visit if they are registered in advance to participate in this event. 

Can I bring my dog? Visitors are not allowed to bring pets (except service animals) to the property. There is no exception. 

Can I lodge elsewhere and volunteer? Yes, you can stay in town and volunteer. When registering, we ask if you are staying at Northern Tier. You can find a list of lodging options at

Do I need to be a member? Yes. As we are a member organization, you need to be a member before registering. Membership is open to former staff and those who support the mission of Northern Tier. You can join at

Can I bring a guest? Immediate family members can volunteer. You can add them during registration by clicking the option to add a guest. If bringing a family member under 18, contact us to ensure we have appropriate volunteer activities planned.

Can I bring my children? If bringing a family member under 18, contact us to ensure we have appropriate volunteer activities planned.

Do I need to know any specific skills? To volunteer, you do not need to know any specific skills! There are plenty of projects for everyone.

Where will be lodging and eating? We will be lodging in bunkhouses (crew cabins). You will need to bring your bedding (sheets, blanket, or sleeping bag) and a towel. We will be eating meals in the dining hall.

Can I go on a canoe trip? You can go on a short canoe trip during the day. You must follow specific rules when using a Northern Tier canoe or launching from the Northern Tier landing.

If you are interested in an overnight trip, contact Northern Tier directly regarding rental options. You can learn about renting canoes from Northern Tier here.

What are the COVID-19 requirements? We are committed to Northern Tier having a healthy and successful season! Please do not come if you have symptoms or someone in your household is sick. 

Do I have to complete Youth Protection Training? Yes. You must complete and have unexpired Youth Protection Training regardless of how long you are volunteering.

Do I need a medical exam and health form? If staying less than 72-hours (for example, a weekend), you only have to complete the health form (parts A and B) yourself. If staying longer, you need to have a medical exam (in the last 12 months) with part C completed by your medical provider.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software